is processed from the Brazilian manioc or bitter cassava root which is poisonous
until it has been dried and boiled. This process removes the hydrocyanic acid
which is contained in the root. After boiling, it is pressed through plates to
form balls. Tapioca is delicious with strawberries or with your favorite fruit,
such as sautéed peaches. Simply heat fruit in a saucepan with a little honey
until the fruit is just tender.
4 cups whole milk
6 tablespoons quick-cooking minute tapioca
½ cup granulated sugar
2 large egg yolks
2 large egg whites
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 pints fresh strawberries, sliced
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 cup whipping cream, whipped
Pour milk into a 3-quart saucepan. Whisk in tapioca, ½ cup sugar,
salt and egg yolks. Let stand 7 minutes.
2. Beat egg whites in a small bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually
add 6 tablespoons sugar, one tablespoon at a time. Set aside
3. Bring tapioca mixture to a boil over medium heat, using a
whisk to stir occasionally. Pudding will thicken.
4. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla, then pour into a large
bowl. Use a whisk to stir in the beaten whites.
5. Cover with plastic wrap or a lid and refrigerate.
6. Toss strawberries with sugar and refrigerate.
7. To serve, place spoonfuls of pudding in dessert cups, top with
strawberries and whipped cream.
Makes 8 servings